Saturday, April 22, 2017

A List of Surnames in Lika Province by Village

Someone has put together a list of the family names (or surnames) and the villages where people with those names lived.   I didn't put this together, but it seems to be right based on what I've seen in my own research.  Here's the link:

https://www.scribd.com/doc/35375858/Licka-Prezimena-Nadimci-i-Isorija-Krajine

This list can be useful for a few things.

(1) If you know your families last name, you can see the full list of villages where people with that name lived.  For example, people named Kljaić lived in three locations: Dnopolje, Kurjak, and Ploća. My great-grandfather was born in Kurjak and I have focused my work on that area.  However I may try to track down records from the other towns eventually to see if I can find connections. 

(2) Sometimes last names were changed in America.  Recently I was emailing with someone who was looking for their grandfather's records.  Here's a bit of the story:

"The only evidence of my great grandfather's name I have comes from a 1918 court document (when my grandmother was put into an orphanage in Minnesota).  In that document it simply mentions that he is "Austrian", deceased, and his name Rohda Peretina.  My guess is that the court reporter typed his name the way she heard it.   Just a guess on my part but I was thinking his name is really Rade Prtina."  

Now the name Prtina doesn't occur in Lika, but the surname Prlina does (see the linked document above).  When this person looked for Rade Prlina - he found an immigration document that fits within the other information he has!

So the story here is that last names were often changed and so sometimes you need to go back and look for similar names.  The list here provides you with the information you need to do that!

PS: This is a story about Todd.  If Prlina is a family name, you might contact Todd at todd5@rocketmail.com to see if you have common ancestors.

No comments:

Post a Comment