Thursday, March 26, 2015

Database of Emigres from Udbina, Croatia (in Lika Province)

Over the past few months I have been searching through the records available through ancestory.com for anyone who was born in the Udbina.   So far I found 1,343 individuals.  Because I will be using this information in several posts, I wanted to give background on how I gathered the data.
As I have posted previously, greater Udbina is composed of several small communities.  For my search I specifically used the search terms "Udbina" and "Kurjak"  in any location field.  I did not search for the other small communities in greater Udbina.  However, if I found someone from one of the other small communities in my search I included them in the database. 

The information I gathered comes from naturalization forms, passenger lists, death records, birth records, passport applications, and a few more records.  Over 90% of the information comes from passenger lists.  When I found someone from Udbina on a ship, I looked through the rest of the ship for anyone else from greater Udbina.  This led to several finds that I would have otherwise missed.

I gathered this information because I wanted to put Andrew's migration experience into context by comparing it to the experience of others from his same municipality.  

We have some leads to find information about Andrew's migration record, but.... it will be a few months before we hear back on that.  In the mean time, we are pretty sure that the Jandre Kljaić in this passenger list is Andrew:


One reason we think that this is probably our Jandre is that he is traveling with people who have names that appear in the larger family tree: Basta, Kalanj, Opalić, and Đukić.  There is also someone who might be his father-in-law (Jovan Kljaić) on the same boat.  If this, indeed, our Jandre Kljaić, he came to the U.S. in 1905 as a 17 year-old.  The next couple of posts will provide context for his experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment