Sunday, October 23, 2016

Reading German handwriting from the 1800s

Hi Everyone -

When I put together the database using the Austro-Hungarian Military records, I had to learn how to read German cursive script.  (If you look at this previous post you can see examples of the handwriting in the documents.)

One thing that helped me do this, is the following resource put out by BYU: German Script Tutorial.

And the list of the letters in the alphabet is probably the document I used the most: Alphabet link.

The letter "h" was the one that through me off the most.  When I first started I had a hard time telling the difference between "h" and "f".  It helped me to know the names of the cities I was looking for.  I could then see examples of words that I definitely knew.  

Good luck!



No comments:

Post a Comment