Friday, November 22, 2019

GUEST POST: Rubcic and Sertic families in Udbina

Hello Dan! My name is David Badovinac. I live in Sacramento, Calif. I recently was working on my ancestry and came across your blog where you listed names of families from the Udbina area. Some of the last names were very well known to me: (ie. Rubcic and Sertic)

I discovered recently that my maternal Grandfather was probably born in Udbina and I believe his name was Luka (aka Louis) Rubcic. I'm not sure that Louis was his original first name, but my mother named me after him (i.e. my middle name is “Louis”) and so I think she thought that was his name.

My grandfather’s grave is in Kemmerer, Wyoming and his gravestone (which was put there in 1924) shows his name to be “Louis G Thomas”. I have no idea where that middle initial and last name came from. It may be the result of his attempt to be more “American” during the first World War.

However, I have done some research in Wyoming and found that when he married my grandmother in Kemmerer, Wyoming in 1917, he used the name of Louis Rubcic on the marriage license. I’m sure it was his marriage license because of my grandmother’s name, Johanna Petric, on the license and the date and place of the marriage. They lived in Kemmerer until his death in 1924.

Also, as a little boy, I can remember my mother taking special care of her “uncle” Joe Rubcic, after he had a stroke. Joe was a logger in the state of Washington and he had a stroke in about 1952, so he came to live with us at my Mom and Dad’s house in Roseville, Calif.  I’m positive that Joe Rubcic was her father Louis’ brother.

I found Joe Rubcic’ draft registration card (from 1942) on Ancestry.com and it said he was born in Udbina, so I think its fair to assume his brother was born there too.

I also remember my mother had another relative whose name was Mile “Mike” Rubcic and he lived in South San Francisco in 1950’s and 1960’s. I remember visiting him at his home. I found Mike Rubcic’ Naturalization form on Ancestry.com and it says he was born in Udbina.

So, I’m pretty sure my Grandfather’s name originally was Louis or Luka Rubcic and he was born in Udbina.

Anyway, Louis was killed in a coal mine cave-in in Kemmerer. After this tragedy, his boy-hood friend from the old country, Jack Sertic stepped up and volunteered to take care of Louis’ family. He married Louis’ widow and adopted Louis’ kids and moved the family to a farm in Corning, Calif.

I found Jack Sertic’ draft card from 1942 on Ancestry.com and it also said Jack was born in Udbina.

So, I would like to know anything I can about the Rubcic and Sertic families of Udbina during that time (ie. 1900 to 1910).

Do you have any information about three brothers named Rubcic [i.e. Louis, Joe, Mile (Mike)] who immigrated to America between 1902 and 1909?

You can reach me via:  davidb1@surewest.net

No comments:

Post a Comment