Thursday, December 29, 2016

Family Size in the Udbina-area, 1820-1870

The data from the Austro-Hungarian records includes information about the number of children each soldier has and thus allows to also get a sense of family size in the greater Udbina area during the 1800s.  I've broken down these graphs down by the age category to show roughly when in the life cycle they were having kids.  (Note that I have included both married and unmarried me when creating these graphs, which partly contributes to the large number with no children.)







I find it interesting that having 3-4 kids seems to be the most common size (for people with kids) - so my own family (with 4 kids) would fit right in.  I also enjoyed seeing that most of the growth in family size seems to occur between 30 and 40.   

No comments:

Post a Comment